20 Jul Facebook Only Shows 10% Of What You Post
Hey guys, Matt the Intern here. Today I learned that Facebook only shows fans of a page 10% of what companies post.
The biggest misconception companies have is that their fans see everything that they post. Facebook has a secret algorithm, and they determine how much of your content that they want to show to your fans.
So how should companies get Facebook to show more their content?
Get a higher engagement rate.
If more people “like, comment, or share” your content, then facebook will show more of your posts. Here is an example of High engagement from the World Surf League (one of my favorite fan pages).
Here you can see that World Surf League’s post was perfect for their audience. They received 23,000+ likes, 3,300+ shares, and 500+ comments on their video. And, the video received over half a million views.
Spreading posts through your fans
If a fan “likes” your post, then that post will show up on the fan’s news feed for all of his/her friends to see. The same goes with commenting on and sharing a post. When friends click on the post and come to you fan page you also get more engagement.
How do you get high engagement?
It is important to use videos or memes that people will engage with.
Here is a great example from MorningCoach.com’s facebook page.
The purpose of this post is to engage the reader and spark positive energy into him/her, and to get likes shares and comments.
Basically what Facebook is saying is that if you want more people to see your posts, you have to pay for the right to have them show up.
What ads can you run?
- Dark Posts: A post that would show up on Facebook anywhere except your fan page. This is an ad that targets people outside of your fan page.
- Boosted post: A post that is advertised to people who seem to be a fit for what you are promoting. These types of ads target people through their likes, interests, and locations.
Ads can show up in 3 different places (see illustration below)
- Mobile News feed. These kinds of ads come up on a mobile device such as a smartphone.
- Desktop News Feed. Ads like these will show up on your news feed.
- Right Column. These ads will show up on the right hand side of your newsfeed.