20 Jun Instagram Launches Video
|The white arrow at the top right indicates playable content.|
As you might have heard, Instagram launched a new video feature on their social photo-sharing platform. It’s in direct competition with Vine, though it does have a few differences. Already, the internet at large is debating on whether or not adding video to the platform is a good idea – it will definitely change the user experience, but it’s still too early to tell if people will leave Instagram over the addition of video.
Here at the office, we’ve definitely noticed a slowdown in the application’s speed, but this may be something that Instagram addresses in the near future to create a more seamless video experience.
Does this mean Vine will feature photos in the future and the two apps will completely go toe-to-toe in a death match to win the millions of users at stake? Maybe. In the meantime, let’s explore the differences.
- 7 seconds of video max
- plays on infinite loop automatically
- can use previously recorded video
- allows social sharing and auto-creates an embedding code
- touch the screen to record, release to stop
- 15 seconds of video max
- does not loop
- cannot use previously recorded video
- allows social sharing and allows you to copy share link, but does not currently provide an embed code
- touch the red button to record, release to stop
We’ve already started taking a couple of Instavideos here at TGR to experiment with this new option. What videos are you planning to release on your Instagram?