04 Dec Ten Tips for Job Hunting in a Recession
On our new internet marketing podcast we feature ten strategies for job hunting in a recession, Grammy’s Golden Rules, a fun night at Affiliate Summit Boston with some great friends including: Peter Glaeser, David Antley from Alliance Health, Colleen Dawent of WorldWide Brands, Bosco Pereira from Marketing Tips.com and Cresta Pillsbury from the Ecommerce Merchants Trade Association
Ten Tips for Job Hunting in a Recession
1. Start NOW! The time to build your contacts and your social network is right now! Take time to participate with your industry association, help out, build contacts.
2. Treat it Like a Full-Time Job. Track job leads and follow-up on an Excel Spreadsheet or try Perfect Job Software
3. Be Proactive! Line up ‘Informational Interviews’ 15-20 minute meetings with people at companies that interest you.
4. Get Digital. You must have a LinkedIn digital resume and try an exciting new site to search for jobs in your area at Indeed.com
5. Make Some Money While You’re Looking. Set yourself up to freelance, build your experience and add to your resume (and your wallet) through sites such as Guru , eLance or promote your own site or blog as an affiliate: Share-A-Sale , Commission Junction, LinkShare or affiliate forum A-Best-Web.com
6. Search In Niches. Industry Association Sites and local geography sites often will help with your job search
7. Access Resources such as your Local Workforce Resource Center or a State employment Service Office
8. Develop target companies and find connections inside those companies through LinkedIn and other contacts. You might also carry a list of informational meeting targets to networking meetings and say ‘I would appreciate introductions to anyone you know who works for the companies on my target list’
9. Be professional with Recruiters – Pick 1-2 you trust to represent you in a professional manner
10. Give Thanks! Thank People who help you along the way