18 Oct Unfriended by Your Facebook Friends
- Frequent Unimportant Posts: Sorry, but your friends don’t really want to be getting minute-by-minute updates of your band… You might want to try Twitter for that!
- Religion and Politics: If you’re using Facebook to air your political and religious beliefs, you’re bound to offend somebody! Remember, if it’s not a good topic for a dinner party, don’t bring it up on Facebook either!
- Inappropriate Posts: Keep it PG please! If you’re constantly posting crude or racists comments, you can’t really blame your Facebook friends for unfriending you. If your mother shouldn’t be hearing it, don’t post it on Facebook!
- Offline Behavior: While 57% of surveyed participants unfriended for online reasons such as the ones above, 26.9% unfriended for offline behavior. So to get and keep all your Facebook friends, not only do you have to stop being annoying and act appropriately on Facebook, you have to do so in real life too!
- Social Hierarchy: Just like in real life, there is also a social hierarchy on Facebook. The study found that those making the friend requests are much more likely to be abruptly unfriended, while those who unfriend have the dominant role in the relationship. So while you won’t be unfriending your mother any time soon, you might unfriend that “friend” who requested your friendship after meeting you at freshman orientation that one time.
I can say that 99.5 percent of the people I removed were for one of the reasons listed above. Which one of the top 5 reasons listed above annoys you the most? For me, the unimportant posts drive me mad. I do not care that you just went to the bathroom or that your dog woke you up at 5am for a walk.